Back to photo list

Image from page 39 of "Appendix to the Journals of the Senate and Assembly of the ... session of the Legislature of the State of California" (1853)

Image from page 39 of
The picture above is taken automatically from, if there is something related to the picture please visit and contact
Identifier: appendixtojourna19177cali
Title: Appendix to the Journals of the Senate and Assembly of the ... session of the Legislature of the State of California
Year: 1853 (1850s)
Authors: California. Legislature
Subjects: Legislative journals
Publisher: Sacramento : State Printing
Contributing Library: San Francisco Public Library
Digitizing Sponsor: San Francisco Public Library

View Book Page: Book Viewer
About This Book: Catalog Entry
View All Images: All Images From Book

Click here to view book online to see this illustration in context in a browseable online version of this book.

Text Appearing Before Image:
luecolor in the interior of the bed. but changes to a snow white when dried.It occurs in a massive bed. from 20 to 30 feet thick, and is overlaid byfrom 3 to 10 feet of variegated, yellowish, red and white sandy clay thatis stripped oft and thrown to waste. The white clay is quarried in largequantities at very little expense. From the pit it is hauled by wagons tostorage sheds on the railway siding. Fifteen men employed. G MINES AND MINERAL RESOURCES. A. V. Clark Clay Banks. Situated 2 miles north of Cardondale,where a fire sand is obtained, ^vhich is a Avhite clay of the lone forma-tion containing a large percentage of silica. A bank of white clay20 feet thick, with 3 feet of overburden has been developed. Alarge amount is being quarried and hauled to Carbondale, wherestored in sheds on the railroad. This product is used for making terracotta and white brick. Five men are employed. N. Clark & Sons, HGNatoma street, San Francisco, Cal, owners. M. R. Bacon, of Ioi)e,superintendent.

Text Appearing After Image:
N. Clark & Sons clay banks, lone, Amador County, California. (rarchn Citij Pottcrij Clay Bajiks. Ihese l)anks are located 2 milesnorth of Carbondale. This pit furnishes a soft, plastic, refractory clay,free from grit, having a light blue color when first dug Avhichchanges to white when dried. It occurs in a bed 6 to 14 feet thick,overlain by from 1 to 6 feet of yellow, sandy clay. Clay is hauledby wagon to storage shed at Carbondale Station. Garden City Pot-tery Company, 560 North Sixth street, San Jose, Cal., owner. J. New-man, of lone, superintendent. Tone Coal and Iron Company Clay Banks. This company has devel-oped a number of high grade clay deposits on the holdings of the PacificImprovement Company, some of which are operated by leasing com-panies, while the lone company is only operating two clay pits, one nearlone adjoining the Newman clay banks, the other at mine No. 5. Thislatter shows a bed of clay 20 to 40 feet thick. The clay is soft,smooth and plastic, free from grit

Note About Images
Please note that these images are extracted from scanned page images that may have been digitally enhanced for readability - coloration and appearance of these illustrations may not perfectly resemble the original work.
Date: 2014-07-30 14:43:30

bookid:appendixtojourna19177cali bookyear:1853 bookdecade:1850 bookcentury:1800 bookauthor:California__Legislature booksubject:Legislative_journals bookpublisher:Sacramento___State_Printing bookcontributor:San_Francisco_Public_Library booksponsor:San_Francisco_Public_Library bookleafnumber:39 bookcollection:americana

Visit :


No comment found!

Members of | Partnered with
Powered by | Promoted by

Visit Archipelago Country, A Tropical Paradise In The World : and